Learn how to cleanse crystals with a singing bowl. Discover the benefits and my buyer tips in this step-by-step guide to cleansing crystals with a Tibetan singing bowl.
I have been using Tibetan singing bowls for space clearing for about 18 years now. They are one of my recommended methods for cleansing crystals.
Not only is this method fast, when you cleanse crystals with a singing bowl you can cleanse lots of them at once. This is ideal for cleansing crystal grids too.
What Is A Tibetan Singing Bowl?
This spiritual tool originates from Tibet and Buddhism though they are made in Nepal and India too. Traditionally Tibetan singing bowls are handmade from brass or bronze and may use five or seven different metals in their creation. Some are hammered, some are cast.
Both the metal ratio (high Copper content) and shape help produce thei
r amazing sound. They come in a variety of sizes, some are inscribed, etched or painted with sacred Buddhist images, symbols, mandalas or mantras.
Singing bowls are placed on a cushion which enhances the sound. They also should come with a wooden stick which is used to sound them. The bowls emit a deep or high pitched tone similar to a brass bell but will continuously ring (like they are singing) while in use.
What Are Singing Bowls Used For?
Singing bowls are used for a variety of things from cleansing and blessing a space, objects, meditation and even healing. They cleanse and balance the aura and all the chakras. Like Tingshas, Bells or Tuning Forks they use sound to cleanse.
Metaphysically they transmute negative or unbalanced energy and transform it into positive or balanced energy again. They raise the vibration of everything around them and their cleansing sound passes through us, atoms and walls.
Buyer’s Guide & Tips
These days singing bowls can be found at Buddhist shops, good metaphysical shops and websites. I have a few listed on my recommended spiritual tools list on Amazon.
In the UK I can recommend the Buddist shop Windhorse Imports for genuine Tibetan singing bowls. They hand pick the bowls for sound quality and they are still affordable.
If you don’t already have a singing bowl, here are a few tips and things to look out for:
1. A small singing bowl of around 3.5″ diameter will work perfectly well and is suitable for cleansing small objects like crystals.
2. Small singing bowls have a higher pitch tone and larger ones create a deeper sound.
3. You don’t need to spend a fortune on a huge singing bowl to cleanse your home or crystals.
4. Although seven metal singing bowls are the highest quality, you can use ones made of genuine brass. They will still work.
5. Make sure you purchase a singing bowl with a cushion and wooden stick.
In recent years as the popularity of singing bowls grew it has come to my attention that some singing bowls on the market are not genuine… This seems more common with the painted and decorated ones because it hides the brass.
WARNING: Beware Fake Singing Bowls!
A genuine singing bowl emits a melodic ringing sound when gently struck similar to a brass bell. This sound continues to ring for some time and reduces slowly.
If it is made of the wrong metal or too contains too much iron or tin it will sound like you are hitting a saucepan with a wooden spoon. Poor quality and fake singing bowls make a dull metallic sound that quickly stops.
I have a singing bowl that was gifted to me that does produce a ringing sound when tapped but it will not produce a continuous singing sound when rubbed. These bowls are only for decorative purposes and not good for cleansing.
Buying in a physical shop which allows you to try and test the bowls will eliminate this problem. If buying online, brass looking ones are a safer buy but always check they accept returns.
How To Cleanse Crystals With A Singing Bowl
Never place crystals inside a singing bowl to cleanse them. Not only will this dull or offset the sound but it could damage your crystals. The crystals will vibrate inside the bowl against the metal and any other stones which could chip, crack or break them.
If you have never used a singing bowl before it can take a little getting used to. You can practice until you are more comfortable if you want. There are two methods that I have used to cleanse crystals with a singing bowl explained below. I have also included a video for you to hear and see a demonstration.
CLEANSING METHOD 1
1. Place your singing bowl on its cushion and onto a flat surface.
2. Place your crystal or crystals around the outside of the cushion and singing bowl.
3. Gently strike the side of the singing bowl with the stick, so that it emits a ringing sound.
4. Gently but firmly rub the outside of the bowl with the side of the stick in a steady clockwise direction. This should keep the ringing going.
5. Keep rubbing the singing bowl for a few rounds with intention. Stop when you feel this is done.
CLEANSING METHOD 2